Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Love Affair with CHEESE






It began at an early age, my love of cheese. It was the all around snack. Cheese & Apples. Sometimes Cheese & Peanuts. This was my staple food from the time I could eat it -- and in truth -- to this day it is one of my favorite things to eat. Now, as I've adventured throughout the world -- Cheese has become a part of my life and a passion I share with many of my friends. In college, I would buy Brie, and serve it to my friends, thinking I was at the pinacle of sophistication -- it wasn't about Cheddar anymore people... I was onto something! Upon moving to Chicago -- I met David Donnavan from the House of Glunz, who hired me to pour wine at his wine tastings. He would have a nice spread of some artisinal cheeses with thinly sliced Genoa Salami and I loved it. Then, I really discovered cheese. My friend Jake from Miami would spend a small fortune at the Epicure market and we would drink wine and eat cheese for hours! Stinky ones too. But soooooo delicious. It was a decadance beyond belief and I was able to partake as my budget would allow! Then, Chef Randy Z came over one day with a little care package. He had a half-loaf of fresh baked Sourdough, an Apple (That he cut so paper thin, I couldn't even believe my eyes -- this was also the first time I'd seen someone use a knife like this!) and he introduced me to more beautiful cheeses that they featured at Norman's restaurant in Coral Gables. I encourage you to get into cheese if you have the $$. Worth every delicious, stinky, creamy, bold moment. This photo is of the incredible array of cheeses at ANDROUET in Paris, France at the market with Gene & Christi in 2006. The other photo is from Bristol Farms' Cheese Selection in LA

No comments:

Post a Comment